Today the 10th global assembly of the World Council of Churches starts in South Korea. The assembly will gather hundreds of Christians from a multitude of nations and denominations to discuss the theme “God of life, lead us to justice and peace”. In other words, many of the world’s most influential Christian leaders, representing 500 million believers, will gather to learn how to be activists.
I really like the WCC. I like how they recognize how global Christianity is and that they want to learn and bless each other in order to be able to celebrate communion together. And I really like how they emphasize peace and justice. What I hope is that they also will inspire to global revival.
What the Holy Spirit has done in the 20th century through the charismatic movement is truly ecumenical. On Asuza Street, people from all denominations were welcome to experience the baptism of the Spirit. After creating its own distinctive denominational movement, Pentecostalism, the fire started to spread into mainline churches. Today, charismatics can be found in basically all Christian traditions and in all nations were Christianity is found.
This should be recognized. According to their website, WCC has four goals:
As members of this fellowship, WCC member churches:
- are called to the goal of visible unity in one faith and one eucharistic fellowship;
- promote their common witness in work for mission and evangelism;
- engage in Christian service by serving human need, breaking down barriers between people, seeking justice and peace, and upholding the integrity of creation; and
- foster renewal in unity, worship, mission and service.
What if charismatic renewal and revival was added to that list? Everything else that WCC encourages, from mission to activism, would be Spiritually empowered, so that we spread the gospel and promote peace and justice in the power of signs and wonders, just like Jesus did. That would be truly awesome.
- God of Life, Lead us to Justice and Peace (gaudetetheology.wordpress.com)
- Can Christians Play Well – with One Another? (bu.edu)
- Christian Leaders Urge Churches to Mobilise Behind Syria Peace Plan (02varvara.wordpress.com)
- Busan and Ecumenical Space ~ Guest Post by Anders Göranzon (altervoice.org)
The WCC played an important part in the early charismatic renewal thanks to the contacts with David duPlessis, however the pneumatology that is prevalent today in WCC-circles has taken a turn for the worse….